What To Bring
Living at Philmont for a week can be a real outdoor adventure for the whole family. In choosing clothing and equipment, remember Philmont's elevation and that rain showers, warm days (70s to high 80s), and cool nights (30s to low 50s) can be expected.
The following is a basic equipment list for each member of your family:
- Sleeping bag and/or sheets and blankets
- Walking shoes or boots
- Day pack*
- Warm sleeping garments
- Scout uniforms (if in Scouting)
- Clothing for warm days and cool evenings
- Hat or cap*
- Insect repellent*
- Rain jacket or poncho*
- Three one-quart plastic water bottles or canteens* (except Nursery/Small Fry)
All items marked with an asterisk (*) in the equipment lists above are available for purchase from the Tooth of Time Traders.
Children should plan to wear comfortable play clothes. Scouts and Scouters are encouraged to wear their official BSA uniforms while at Philmont. Spouses wear informal, sports-type clothing and comfortable shoes.
In addition to this basic equipment, the following items are recommended:
- Bring some change with you (quarters) for the laundry.
- Don't forget your camera and lots of film! There are unlimited photo opportunities and you'll be sorry if you miss them.
- A little piece of carpet for your tent floor may be useful.
- So are some clothes hangers, especially early in the summer.
- Bugs are not usually a problem, but mosquito repellent is nice to have if it has been a wet summer.
- If you have an infant or toddler, you may want to bring a portable stroller. Walking distances can be a problem for small children.
Sidewinders and parents attending the overnighter should bring a sleeping bag and ground cloth.
Mustangs and Trailblazers need equipment for an overnight hike/camp and other programs. This should include the following items (in addition to the list above):
- A backpack or duffel bag for gear
- Hiking boots (well broken in)
- Sleeping bag
- Pants (jeans)
- Heavy wool socks for hiking*
- Warm jacket*
Mountain Trek participants need to bring an extensive amount of gear for their trek. A detailed list is included in the Mountain Trek packet, which will be sent under separate cover.
Trailblazers, Mustangs, Broncos, and Silverados should bring a pair of long pants and a long-sleeved shirt to wear on activities such as horse rides and the COPE course.
Forgotten personal items, Scouting, gifts, and Philmont souvenirs are available at the museums or at the Tooth of Time Traders at Camping Headquarters.
The trading post accept credit cards, and there is an ATM in the snackbar.
NAYLE Personal Equipment List
Philmont Leadership Challenge Equipment List