The Driver's Pledge
- I will not text or talk on my phone while I am driving. Texting and talking take my eyes off the road, hands off the steering wheel, and my mind off what I am doing.
- I will put my phone in my backpack or in the glove box before I get behind the wheel. I will only check it when I have safely parked the vehicle.
- I will not become distracted by things going on inside and outside the vehicle. I will concentrate on my driving and my travel plans.
- I will not drive when I feel fatigued. I realize that when I am fatigued, I process information more slowly and less accurately and this impairs my ability to react in time to avoid accidents.
- I will arrange my schedule so that several days before a Boy Scout "driving trip," I will get a good night's sleep every night to avoid the cumulative effect of not getting enough sleep.
- I will make trip preparations far enough in advance so that last-minute preparations don't interfere with my rest.
- I will make travel plans and drive only during the part of the day when I know I will be alert.
- I will be smart about engaging in physical activities during Scouting outings and will make sure that I will be ready to drive alertly.
I am the only person who can make these decisions for me. I will:
- Follow this driver's pledge.
- Be risk ready.
- Do everything that I can to keep Scouts safe.
Download the Risk Zone Driver's Pledge
Download the Risk Zone: Transporting Scouts Safely