||21 days and nights
||15 by day attending but not yet 21
||Provisional Crew will be organized by Philmont
||2 adult leaders provided by Philmont
Are you ready for the ultimate wilderness challenge? On Rayado, your Rangers will challenge you to build the advanced outdoor skills and confidence you need to lead groups in the backcountry. Get ready for three weeks of hiking, climbing, riding, and surprises. You never know what adventure is waiting around the next corner.
"The Ultimate Wilderness Challenge"
Older Scouts and Venturers who have mastered basic outdoor skills should consider applying for the challenging and selective Rayado Trek program. Participants will take the most challenging trails, climb rock faces, and stand on mountaintops. Each day holds new challenges and opportunities that encourage participants to attain a high level of personal growth and self-reliance, accomplishing more than they thought possible.
Rayado is designed specifically to challenge participants' mental and physical abilities, and the program is unparalleled for developing outdoor leadership, group dynamics, wilderness problem-solving, and advanced outdoor skills, including:
- Wilderness backpacking skills
- Navigation and travel techniques
- Expedition behavior and group dynamics
- Advanced cooking skills
- Wilderness stewardship (including Leave No Trace skills and ethics)
- Wilderness first aid and backcountry emergency procedures
A Rayado Trek encourages personal growth, teamwork, and leadership ability—desirable qualities for Philmont staff. The most qualified Rayado participants are often encouraged to apply for the elite Philmont staff in future seasons as rangers, backcountry staff, and headquarters staff.
Who May Participate?
To be able to participate in the Rayado Trek program, participants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Be 15 years of age by January 1 of the year they attend or have completed ninth grade and be at least 15 before participation but not yet 21.
- Be in excellent physical condition and able to hike 10 or more miles with a 40- to 50-pound backpack. (Philmont height and weight guidelines will be strictly enforced.)
- Have mastered the skills of Leave No Trace camping and backpacking; previous Philmont experience is not mandatory but is strongly recommended.
- Have a letter of recommendation from an adult Scouter detailing the participant's backcountry experience and character.
What Activities Does the Program Include?
Rayado participants will backpack with Scouts and Venturers from all over the country, visiting parts of the backcountry that are never seen by expedition campers and participating in activities that are not available to participants in any other program.
Each crew will explore the unexplored and encounter the unexpected; to maintain the elements of surprise and discovery, specific details about trek activities are not disclosed in advance.
The cost includes crew gear and staff leadership. Rayado scholarships are available (information about scholarships will be sent along with your application form).
How Do I Apply?
Each participant must complete an application form (approved by a parent or guardian, a unit leader, and the local council Scout executive) and provide one letter of recommendation that attest to the participant's backcountry experience and ability to live under remote and primitive conditions.
||June 20 - July 10
||July 18 - August 7
Here participants may find registration information for shuttle services to Philmont Scout Ranch from Denver, Colorado Springs and Albuquerque airports.