- Variable Length
Fee: $100 per person per day
Register: By crew or individual
- Season: Fall
- Age: 14 or 13 in 8th grade
- Crew Size: 5-12, including adult leadership
- Leadership: 2+ adult leaders required per crew; can have all-adult crews
- Registration: Anytime
Hiking in the Philmont backcountry during the autumn season, crews will enjoy warm, sunny days, and cool, crisp nights. They will get to see the aspen trees changing to gold and witness the wildlife preparing for winter. A trained Philmont guide will accompany your group to areas where you can enjoy the splendor of fall color.
Autumn Adventure treks occur in September and October, and can vary in length to fit the schedule of the group.
Who May Participate
Autumn Adventure is open to crews of 5 to 12 participants accompanied by an Autumn Adventure guide as well as individuals participating in Individual Adventures. Larger groups will be organized into multiple crews (please call for approval). A crew may be assembled from a Boy Scout troop, Venturing crew, Sea Scout ship, Varsity team, Exploring post or an adult group of Unit, District or Council committee
Crews must meet the following requirements:
- All participants must be registered members of the BSA.
- All participants must have completed the BSA Annual Health and Medical Record within the previous 12 months and meet physical condition requirements.
- Youth participants must be at least 14 years of age OR 13 years of age and in the eighth grade at the time of participation.
- Each group must have at least two adult advisors, both of which must be at least 21 years of age.
- Coed groups must have at least one male and female advisor (both over 21 years of age).
- Each group must have at least one member certified in CPR and First Aid (may be met by two separate people).
- Traditional Autumn Adventure: “Adventure at your own pace” – You won’t see set itineraries or time schedules here and you might even get the whole Ranch to yourself! Whether you want the ever-popular Adult-only Trek or you plan on bringing the troop, fall is the supreme backdrop for fellowship & solitude among friends & family. Relax at a backcountry camp with a multiday extended stay or pack light and travel far to unexplored regions. Get off the beaten path and keep it simple with a Traditional Autumn Adventure.
- Fall Trek: ARROWHEAD & TRIPLE CORWN QUALIFIER – Completing a Fall Trek earns the distinguished Arrowhead Award and qualifies for BSA Triple Crown Award advancement. In addition, the 50-Miler Award and backpacking merit badge are simple add-ons to quadruple your gains! This strenuous trek will satisfy those who aspire to achieve these landmark awards and is perfect for schools with a fall break.
- Casita Camping Package: This new program allows for crews to camp in the comfort of backcountry cabins and still enjoy the variety of winter adventure programs during the day. Indoor programs, specialty meals, extra comfort and more are a part of this unique package.
- Cavalcade: Experience the beauty of Philmont from the back of a horse! Riding experience is helpful but not required- we can teach you all you need to know to have a novel experience in the Philmont backcountry. The backcountry camps have already gathered so the program will consist of riding, hiking, sightseeing, and fellowship. LEARN MORE
- Family/Council/Group Planning Conference: If a multi-day backcountry experience will bring your team success, sign-up for an Autumn Adventure today! However, if conference rooms, roofed housing, modern amenities, prepared meals, and a variety of activities is what you seek, then look no further than the Philmont Training Center! For more information contact PhilmontTrainingCenter@Scouting.org
- Sportsman Adventure: Shoot more than photos with this BIG adventure. LEARN MORE
How to Register
Sessions are available from early September to late October. Reservations are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Reservations are confirmed upon receipt of a nonrefundable deposit of $500 per crew and a completed reservation form. The balance of fees is due upon arrival.