Everything begins with a quality staff. Our hiring managers take great care in selecting a quality staff and organizing a training schedule that sets our staff up for success. In order to be eligible for employment, applications must keep the following requirements in mind:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age by the start of employment. Some positions require a minimum age of 21 years.
- The following components are required for your application to be considered complete: a Seasonal Staff Application, a resumé, and at least one (1) letter of recommendation or Philmont Reference Form completed by a member of your local council’s professional staff, a teacher/professor, religious leader, employer, or other individual who can provide reference of your character, integrity, and work ethic.
- Many positions require that staff meet the height-to-weight ratio requirements as indicated in Part C of the BSA Annual Health and Medical Record.
If you are selected to be a member of the Philmont Seasonal Staff, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Immediately following a conditional offer of employment, staff members will be required to undergo criminal background check.
- Staff members must be registered members of the Boy Scouts of America or agree to become a registered member by the start of employment. As a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America, you are expected to behave according to the Scout Oath or Promise, the Scout Law, and the Declaration of Religious Principles.
- Staff members are required to work the duration of their dates of employments as specified in the Terms of Seasonal Employment. Most employment dates run from mid- to late-May through mid- to late-August. Employment dates for the off-season (Autumn and Winter) vary.
- All staff members are required to verify their employment eligibility by completing a Form I-9 and providing original documents to Seasonal Personnel upon arrival.
- For the purpose of health and safety, all staff members must complete a BSA Annual Health and Medical Record form that shows completion of a physical exam within the previous 12 months.
- If a position requires driving a Philmont vehicle, staff members are required to supply a current driving record from all states you have been or are currently licensed to drive. Three moving violations or one DWI/DUI within the past 3 years will disqualify you from any position that requires driving.
- Staff members must complete their designated staff training and fulfill job duties as specified by Philmont through direct supervisors.
- During employment, staff members must fully cooperate with the policies, procedures, and guidelines outlined in the Staff Guidebook.