At Philmont, everything begins with a quality staff. Great care is used in the selection and training of our staff.
Staff attitude, example, and performance set the pace for all those who attend. In order to be eligible for a
seasonal position at Philmont, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be registered members of the Boy Scouts of America or agree to become registered before
employment begins, and subscribe to the Scout Oath or Promise, the Scout Law, and the Declaration of Religious
- The minimum age requirement for seasonal staff is 18. Some positions require a minimum age of 21.
- Staff is required to work for the duration of the season as specified in their employment contract. The majority
of contracts will run from late May to late August. Exact dates for off-season contracts vary.
- Every applicant who is offered a job will be required to complete an Employment Eligibility verification (I-9)
form and show evidence of successfully completing a physical evaluation during the previous 12 months using the
form provided by Philmont.
- If you are hired for a position that requires driving, you will be required to supply a current driving record
from your state of license. Three moving violations or one DWI/DUI within the past three years will disqualify you
from a driving position.
- Each participant must successfully complete the designated staff training and fulfill the job requirements
specified by Philmont through supervisors.
- While employed by Philmont, staff must fully cooperate with the policies, program, and management of Philmont.
This includes high standards for physical grooming and moral conduct, regardless of job assignment.
Many positions require staff to meet height/weight requirements as indicated in Part C of the BSA
Annual Health and Medical Record.