Purpose of the Meeting
- To acquaint parents and youth with Philmont and the risk advisory.
- To share with them the calendar of events leading up to departure for Philmont.
- To inform them of procedures regarding payment of fees, BSA Annual Health & Medical forms, equipment needs, travel itinerary to and from Philmont, age requirement, etc.
- To introduce expedition leadership
Philmont maps posted on wall with photos of previous trips. Table with snapshots, souvenirs, mementos from Philmont, etc. Display personal equipment needed and have a backpacking demonstration.
- Welcome and Introductions
- What Is Philmont?
- A talk by a youth or Advisor who has been to Philmont before, possibly including photos from previous treks. Keep this fast-paced and limited to 30 minutes.
- Read and distribute copies of risk advisory to parents.