- In 1922, Tulsa oilman Waite Phillips purchased what is now Philmont Scout Ranch. His summer home, the Villa Philmonte, was completed in 1927. He donated Philmont to the Boy Scouts of America in 1938, and designated the Villa to be used as a training center.
- In addition to his own donation of the ranch, Phillips provided an endowment that would contribute to the maintenance and improvement of the property, and also provided scholarships for needy Scouts.
Philmont Scout Ranch
- The first Scouts attended Philmont Scout Ranch during the summer of 1938.
- Philmont is the world’s largest youth camp, consisting of 140,171 acres, or about 220 square miles. There are 315 miles of trails, 35 staffed backcountry camps and 770 campsites.
- Over 22,000 Scouts and Leaders are expected to go on 12-day treks this summer. Every day, 350 arrive, 350 leave, and 3,500 are hiking in the backcountry.
- Philmont’s elevation ranges from 6500 to 12,441 feet.
- Philmont puts up 850 wall tents each summer and has 2,500 backpacking tents. Over 200,000 dining hall meals and 465,000 trail meals are consumed each summer. These trail meals are packaged by Philmont employees during the winter.
- Philmont is a working cattle ranch with 250 horses, 85 burros, 320 cattle, 140 buffalo, and 7 ponies. 300 tons of hay is produced each year.
- Philmont has over 1,500 deer, 300 elk, 40-60 antelope, and 100-150 bears.
- Summer participants mail approximately 81,000 post cards and buy 14,000 t-shirts.
Philmont Training Center
- The first PTC office was built in 1943, and was used to house conference participants. The BSA expanded the facilities in the 1950s by building the dining hall, tent cities, and the classrooms, allowing conference participants to share the experience with their families.
- During the 11-week summer season, 7 to 8 conferences take place every week. These conferences are conducted by the national divisions within the BSA.
- Up to 6,000 participants and family members may attend Philmont Training Center each summer.
- There are over 240 10×12 tents erected each summer to house Philmont Training Center participants. These tents are outfitted with beds and electricty.