- 21 days and nights
Fee: $625 in 2021
- Register: By individual
- Season: Summer
- Age: 16 years old by the start date and not yet 21 by the end date
- Crew Size: Provisional Crew will be organized by Philmont
- Leadership: 2 adult leaders provided by Philmont
- Registration: Anytime
The Roving Outdoor Conservation School (ROCS) is an exciting 21 day program for scouts who have an interest in conservation and natural resource management. A wide variety of unique conservation projects, hands-on science, special backcountry program, and visits from natural resource professionals gives participants an in depth look at the science driving modern land management and conservation.
The aim of all ROCS treks is to use adventure, learning and expedition behavior to foster a unique relationship between each participant and Philmont. Through hands-on learning in its forests, rivers, alpine meadows and mountaintops, participants will learn to be inquisitive and engaged in the native world around them. Participants will leave Philmont with a deeper appreciation for the land and will have backpacking and leadership skills that can be applied to their future adventures.
Session #1: June 15 – July 6
Session #2: June 23 – July 14
Session #3: July 12 – August 2
*All ROCS sessions are Co-ed.
To participate in the ROCS program, participants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 16 years old by the date the program begins and not yet 21 by the date it ends.
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Be in excellent physical condition, able to hike 10 or more miles with a 50-pound backpack and able to lift and handle materials up to 75 pounds.
- Have strong camping and backpacking skills; previous Philmont experience is not mandatory but is strongly recommended.
- Complete a BSA Annual Health and Medical Record. Philmont height and weight requirements will be strictly enforced.
Each participant must complete a ROCS application. Apply early for best consideration. Applications will continue to be accepted until all spaces are filled. Have it approved by a parent or guardian, a unit leader and your Scout Executive. Applications will continue to be accepted until all spaces are filled. Send your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once accepted, mail your deposit to
Philmont Scout Ranch
Attn: ROCS Trek
17 Deer Run Road
Cimarron, NM 87714
The fee for ROCS is $625 in 2021. A $50 deposit is required with this application with the remaining balance due at the time of acceptance into the program. Additional expenses, including travel to and from Philmont, as well as miscellaneous purchases, are the responsibility of the participant. Scholarships are available on a limited basis.
Shuttle service is available to Philmont from Denver, Colorado Springs and Albuquerque airports. Please download a shuttle form below. These shuttles are not available for 12-day, 9-day, 7-day, or cavalcade crews.
Please note that the shuttle servicing Denver and Colorado Springs cannot transport a Scout with “unaccompanied minor” airline status.
**Shuttle forms/dates/rates are currently under review for 2021 and will be posted when available.