- 8 days and 7 nights
Fee: $160 for 2023
- Register: By individual
- Season: Spring
- Age: 16 or older (all youth must be accompanied by a paying parent/guardian)
- Crew Size: Maximum 20
- Leadership: Leadership provided by Philmont
- Registration: Anytime
PhilBreak is Philmont’s alternative spring break program, sponsored by the Philmont Staff Association. Following the Ute Park fire of 2018, the Philmont Conservation Department began more aggressive timber thinning projects in strategic areas of the Ranch. PhilBreak volunteers have the opportunity to assist Conservation Staff with these projects and leave a safer Philmont for the thousands of participants that the Ranch welcomes every summer. Participants will live in Base Camp during the work week, and all meals will be provided.
- Be at least 16 years old by the date the program begins and have a paying parent/guardian in attendance.
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- If you are over the age of 18, your youth protection training must be current.
- Be in good physical condition, able to hike 3 or more miles with a 20-pound backpack and able to lift and handle materials up to 50 pounds. (Philmont height and weight guidelines will be strictly enforced.)
- Complete a BSA Annual Health and Medical Record.
2023 Session Dates
Session 1: March 11-18
Session 2: March 18-25
- Saturday: Volunteers arrive at Philmont prior to 5pm and spend the night in Base Camp.
- Sunday-Thursday: Crews work on forestry projects, returning to Base Camp at the end of every day.
- Friday: Participants have the opportunity to go on a hike in the backcountry, followed by a Recognition Dinner.
- Saturday: Volunteers travel home after breakfast.
- Raton, NM Shuttle: $20 round trip. Shuttle will run in time with Greyhound and Amtrak schedules.
- Albuquerque Airport Shuttle: $100 round trip. Flights must arrive at the airport by noon on the first day and depart after 1 pm on the last day.
No. Volunteers will spend all nights at the PTC or Camping and stay in roofed housing. You will share rooms with other Phil-breakers. Volunteers will be transported daily to the worksite.
Yes – a good-sized day pack or small weekend pack. Every day you will be driven to the worksite, but you’ll need to carry a trail lunch, lots of water (4-6 liters), rain gear, extra warm clothing (think layers), camera, etc.
Probably. This is the Backcountry in early March at 8,000 – 9,000 feet. Plan on layers for your clothing.
No, but they may stay in a nearby hotel and explore the many tourist attractions in the area.
For registration questions please contact Philmont.Conservation@scouting.org or call Philbreak contact at 575-376-2281 ext. 51035.