- 8 days and 7 nights
Fee: $105(PSA) for 2020
- Register: By individual
- Season: Fall
- Age: 18 or older
- Crew Size: Maximum 24
- Leadership: Leadership provided by Philmont
- Registration: Anytime
Organized with the sponsorship of the Philmont Staff Association, Volunteer Vacation engages adult Scouters in volunteer work in a similar fashion to the youth trail crews of the summer season. Volunteers will spend one week working and living in the Philmont backcountry constructing trail. Volunteers work with staff from the Philmont Conservation Department to develop trail construction skills and use them to leave a lasting impact for the thousands of participants who will use the trail in the future. At the end of the work week, volunteers have the opportunity to hike in the Philmont backcountry for a day before returning to Base Camp.
- Be at least 18 years old by the date the program begins
- Be a registered adult member of the Boy Scouts of America, and have completed all required trainings
- Be in good physical condition, able to hike 3 or more miles with a 20-pound backpack and able to lift and handle materials up to 50 pounds. (Philmont height and weight guidelines will be strictly enforced.)
- Complete a BSA Annual Health and Medical Record.
2020 Session Dates
Philmont Staff Association: September 12-19
Session 2: September 24 to October 1
- Saturday: Volunteers arrive at Philmont and spend the night in Base Camp.
- Sunday: Crew departs Base Camp and hikes to a backcountry worksite.
- Monday-Thursday: Crew works on trail project.
- Friday: Crew breaks camp and departs for a day of hiking.
- Saturday: Volunteers travel home.
- Raton, NM Shuttle: $20 round trip.