Each summer, more than 23,000 scouts travel from all corners of the US and abroad to participate in the rich backcountry program and trekking opportunities available at Philmont Scout Ranch. 35 staffed backcountry camps scattered throughout the 140,171-acre facility provide assorted programs ranging from rock climbing to horseback riding to mine tours and living history. Since 1939, Philmont programs have attracted more than 1 million participants. The Philmont property also serves as the national training center for the Boy Scouts of America.
Philmont employs approximately 80 full-time employees to help operations continue year-round and supervise the more than 1,100 seasonal staff members. Openings for positions will be posted below. Please click on the job title to expand the job description and application instructions.
Position: Ranch Technician
Department: Ranching (Roads and Farming)
Position Location: Cimarron, NM 87714
Position Grade: Non-exempt Grade 2
Philmont Scout Ranch is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to serve as a Ranch Technician in the Roads and Farming Department. The ideal candidate will have an enthusiastic attitude, with proven work ethic, mature decision making, and teamwork skillset.
This position is part of the Roads and Farming Team at Philmont
This position provides support to the Farming operation, and road construction and maintenance program at Philmont. This position assists in the maintenance of more than 236 miles of roads on the 140,000 acres of deeded BSA property, in addition to seasonal maintenance of up to 50 miles of roads on another 90,000+ acres of property leased to support BSA Programs.
In addition, the role has responsibility for supporting a 300-acre farming operation with over 1500-acre feet of water rights. This agriculture operation directly affects and supports the programs of the BSA by supplying forage for more than 300 horses, 100 burros, 225 head of cattle, and 100 head of bison.
- Assists with maintaining the facility, roads, forests, and surrounding property.
- Follows safety standards and procedures.
- Maintains and uses heavy equipment including road graders, bulldozers, backhoes and loaders.
- Works with contractors and seasonal staff
- Understands and helps to operate the farming operations including planting, watering, harvesting forage for livestock.
- Drives and operates farm equipment such as tractors, bailers, combine and hay stacker.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- At least one-year experience on heavy equipment and/or farming
- Valid Driver’s license
- Knowledge of land and equipment management and maintenance
- Knowledge of irrigation practices preferred
- Previous experience operating and maintaining road graders, bulldozers, backhoes, loaders and farming equipment preferred
The National Council, Boy Scouts of America is an equal opportunity employer. Salary range $30,000-$36,000 depending on experience. In addition, the BSA offers benefits to include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, and a defined benefit retirement plan. We also offer generous Personal Time Off and 11 holiday observances.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates please email a BSA Application, cover letter, and resume to: Philmont.HR@scouting.org. The subject line of the email should state Ranch Technician. Applications will be accepted through November 29, 2019.