Each summer, more than 23,000 scouts travel from all corners of the US and abroad to participate in the rich backcountry program and trekking opportunities available at Philmont Scout Ranch. 35 staffed backcountry camps scattered throughout the 140,171-acre facility provide assorted programs ranging from rock climbing to horseback riding to mine tours and living history. Since 1939, Philmont programs have attracted more than 1 million participants. The Philmont property also serves as the national training center for the Boy Scouts of America.
Philmont employees approximately 80 full-time employees to help operations continue year-round and supervise the more than 1,100 seasonal staff members. Openings for positions will be posted below. Please click on the job title to expand the job description and application instructions.
Position: Senior Secretary/Assistant Registrar
Department: Philmont Camping Headquarters
Position location: Cimarron, NM 87714
Position Grade: Grade 2 – Non-Exempt Position
Philmont Scout Ranch is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to serve as the Senior Secretary and Assistant Registrar. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in office management and customer-driven focus to that all who interact will have a positive technology experience.
Manages the email and phone calls related to the extensive operations of the camping program at Philmont Scout Ranch. Serve as an Administrative Assistant to the Director of Camping and work directly with the Camping Registrar to manage the registration of crews and individuals in the camping program.
- Handle incoming call and emails providing necessary information related to camping programs and registration preparation.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, and mailing promotional material.
- Revise and prepare manuals and forms.
- Manage mailing preparations and file documentation.
- Order office supplies for all of the camping operations.
- Assist Camping Registrar in the day-to-day aspects of the camping registration process.
- Serve as back up to the Registrar when they may be out.
- Utilize and have solid knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Office and learn all aspects of the Philmont Camping Gateway.
- Operate a variety of office equipment.
- Provide support on special projects and assignments.
- Quality team player that is concerned with helping all of Philmont Scout Ranch be successful.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required
- A minimum of three years’ experience working in a busy, demanding office setting.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office 365 (e. Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- Must be able to communicate with positive customer service with all levels of the organization both internally and externally.
- Great attention to detail, highly organized with multi-tasking skills.
The National Council, Boy Scouts of America is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to offering a competitive annual salary; the BSA offers benefits to include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, and a defined benefit retirement plan. We also offer generous PTO and 11 holiday observances.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates please email a completed BSA Application, cover letter, and resume to: Philmont.HR@scouting.org. The subject line of the email should state Camping Senior Secretary. Applications will be accepted through April 1, 2019.
Position: Maintenance Technician
Position location: Cimarron, NM 87714
Philmont Scout Ranch is seeking a dedicated individual to serve as a maintenance technician. The ideal candidate will have an enthusiastic, team-oriented attitude, with selected maintenance and construction skills.
- Performs skilled trades work, such as carpentry or painting in the construction, repair, or alteration of structures such as walls, roofs, floors or fixtures.
- May make periodic inspections in the base camp and backcountry areas to evaluate and determine necessary repair work.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of the facility’s structures, machinery, equipment, plumbing, electrical, and/or HVAC systems.
- Experience in construction/maintenance trades required.
- The ability to work from blueprints, drawings, or rough sketches.
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record is required.
- Must be able to pass a BSA background check.
This position is a 40-hour week, non-exempt (hourly) Grade 3 position up to $36k per year. The BSA also offers benefits to include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, and a retirement plan. We also offer generous Personal Time Off (PTO) and 11 holiday observances.
Individuals interested in this position will need to submit a BSA Full Time Employment Application, cover letter, and resume to: Philmont.HR@scouting.org. The subject line of the email should indicate Maintenance Technician. Applications will be accepted through March 29, 2019.
Questions? Call Ray Hayden at 575-376-2281